Reinforcements were sent in from Keyesville and the resulting force, now under the leadership of Sheriff W. Finally, in May 1856 army troops under the command of La Rhett Livingston assaulted the encampment and succeeded in driving off its defenders. In retrospect, George Stewart wrote, "Thus ended the Tule River war of 1856; a war that might have been prevented had there been an honest desire on the part of the white settlers to do so, and one that brought little glory to those who participated therein.The responsibility cannot now be fixed where it properly belongs. Certainly the whites were not blameless, and it is too seldom, indeed, that they have been in the many struggles with the aboriginal inhabitants of this continent." Historian Annie Mitchell later wrote in the Tulare County Historical Society bulletin (Los Tulares No.In the spring of 1856 a rumor that 500 cattle had been stolen by Native Americans began to circulate.Upon further investigation, it turned out that a single yearling calf had been taken as a bridal gift.
From 1858 to 1861 it was the location of the Tule River Station of the Butterfield Overland Mail.These include the Porterville Developmental Center, Sequoia National Forest Headquarters, the Army Corps of Engineers Lake Success Facility and the Porterville College campus of the Kern Community College District.The Native Americans living in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains were relatively undisturbed by early Spanish colonization.He bought 40 acres of land and built a two-story store and a hotel on the highest point of the swampy property, which is now the corner of Oak and Main. It took its name from the founder's given name because another Putnam family lived south of town.In 1862 20.8 inches (530 mm) of rain fell in the area, causing a change of course of the Tule River.